Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Your fortune, our morals

This sign spotted on the corner of Moreland and Pascoe Vale Roads on the way home from work today:

"Work From Home
6 Figure Salary
Serious Only
Call ------------"

Serious only? Meaning, I suppose, only call if you're serious. But what, given such little information, are you supposed to be serious about? Earning a 6 figure salary? Working from home? Does it make any difference to you to know precisely what kind of work you will be doing from home before you decide if you are serious?

Or perhaps it means, don't call this number as a joke, or, don't do this job if you have a sense of humour. Perhaps a better stipulation could be: "Non-thinkers only, please."

It makes me wonder - who exactly would ring that number? People who are passionate about working from home? Because I'm not sure how many workplaces would see that as a particularly valuable characteristic. Still, I'm not in HR. What would I know. Good luck to them, I suppose.

No comments: