Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Real Thing


Driving to church this morning, I saw a publicity sign on Sydney Road - one of those signs that the Melbourne tourism crew put together to make each region feel special. And there was a picture of a typical Coburg scene, with the caption: "Coburg - The Real Thing".


I liked it, even though I wasn't exactly sure what it meant. More to the point, what was it implying about the rest of Melbourne - that it was fake? Nevertheless, there is a feeling of down-to-earth reality in my side of town that makes me love it very much. In fact, I've heard a number of people describe it as more "real" than the wealthier parts of town. I have a feeling I've said similar things myself.


One of the catch-phrases amongst English teachers at my school right now is "Who's Reality?", the topic/context that our Year 12 students study throughout the year. The concept of it all is that they examine the way that reality varies from person to person - a thoroughly postmodern concept, of course, but like all things postmodern it started off okay before it became a law unto itself. And Coburg is a good case in point. For the citizens of Coburg, this is the real thing. This is "real life". For people in Hawthorn, reality is very different. They can simply afford a plusher reality.


So do we only settle for the down-to-earth reality of Coburg if we can't afford an alternative? Possibly, but I doubt it. Many urbane, upwardly mobile types are moving to the inner-northern suburbs, partly because it's cheaper than other options, but partly (and perhaps mostly) because they like it. As someone who rents, I was hardly constrained by housing prices when I decided to live on this side of town. I liked it. I liked how it felt. Anyone who has read this blog for much of its 2 year existence will know that very well. It's no more reflective of any universal "real thing" than "The Wire", but there's a feeling, when you live this side of town, that you are engaged in life along with many others like and unlike you. You are not living in a gated community. You are not buying your isolation. You live, if you will, in solidarity with your community.


At least that's how it feels to me. That's why I like the north. That's why I plan on living, working and serving here for a while longer at least.

2 comments:

Lucidus said...

Chuckle, oh English teacher: Do you mean "Whose Reality?" :)

mpp said...

Yes, yes I did.