Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Open letter to the Moreland City Council...


...on seeing my street being cleared this morning of autumn leaves:

To our most esteemed Mayor and those
Who guard our city from our foes:

I bring you greetings, but I must
Admit that you have lost my trust.
Today I saw a truck which loudly came
And took away our leaves. What shame!
I fear that you have missed the reason
Why Autumn comes each year. This season
Is designed to bring us many joys
In the form of golden leafy toys
Which fall from trees into our laps
(And make us pillows for our naps
If we should choose to siesta in
The street. It surely is no sin
To do so!) And, furthermore,
The leaves are there to keep our cars
Warm when the night grows far too cold
For our cars’ wheels (young or old).

It also strikes me, councillors, that
The leaves make quite a lovely hat
When they land upon our wand’ring heads,
And moreover they allow cars to play
As they drive down the street. Why, they
Could fly, should they choose. Up, up in
The autumnal air! (I won't mention the din
That your truck made this morning when
I stepped outside, filled with leafy yen.
The roaring beast was torture to
My cosy, autumnal senses.)

You,
I trust, will soon fix this mistake
Or the street will yell and quake
In anger.

In trust you will see all this clearly,
Mayorship, I am yours, sincerely…

A concerned Morelandian
(The street south of Albion).

2 comments:

EJK said...

What fun! This has a very Leunig-esque feel about it. All that's needed is a picture of a curly man and a duck.

mpp said...

Ok, feedback noted! There shall be more curly men and ducks in my blogposts forthwith.