Thursday, October 6, 2011

Changing Windows

The picture that you see as the header of this blog is from my window in East Brunswick. That won't be my window for much longer. As a matter of fact, I'm in Sydney now and when I return to Melbourne I will be moving on the same day, to Kensington, another one of Melbourne's beautiful inner-north(west)ern suburbs, and the view from my window there will, no doubt, be different.

Change, however, has been something of a constant in my life in the past couple of years. In fact, I've worked out that this will be my tenth house in two years. Ridiculous, I know. All this change certainly hasn't made for much stability, though there are some benefits. Moving so much has made me more adaptable, and helped me learn how to pack quicker - who knows when those skills might be useful in life. But it's time, I think, to settle down, at least more than I have of late. This is not easy to do. In going to Malaysia, I had to change altogether how I thought about much of life. I chose to be uprooted, to give up many of my expectations about living standards, comfort, relationships. When I returned, I was ready to go back whenever I needed to. Moving and moving and moving again has enabled me, I suspect, to avoid having to readjust to life in Australia. Now that I'm planning to sit still - I'm staying at the same workplace next year, and even choosing to move closer to work (hence the move) - I will need to slow down, to take more things out of boxes...It will take some effort, I suspect. It will also take some time.

So expect to see some of this adjustment documented here. The window I look out will be different, but watch this space to see the perspective - I pray - settle, and find focus. That, at the very least, is the aim.

No comments: