Sunday, January 6, 2008

They write books about this sort of thing

So here's where, first of all, I have to admit that I'm writing a book. So - I'm writing a book.

Good. Now that's out of the way, I can get down to business.

The trouble with said book is that, much to my surprise, it's getting to be quite long. Anyone who has had the patience to endure my sometimes very long posts on this blog may not be surprised, but I'd always assumed brevity was the soul of my wit. Now, maybe this book just isn't very witty. But it's certainly very long, and isn't finished. At the moment, on A4 paper, in size 11 font, 1 1/2 spacing, it's coming in at 222 pages. My estimate is that there's probably another 20 or so pages to go. So, if put into a normal book format, it would come in at around 400 pages, give or take. Which is fine, except that I'm wondering if my humble tale of going to school and University and falling in and out, and in, and out, of love is worthy of so many pages.

I take great encouragement from the literary genius of Say Hi To Your Mom, who say that "they write books about this sort of thing" (this sort of thing being relationships in which couples play computer games and eat Thai food; not far from what my book is about, just without the computer games and the Thai). What I need to know is this: are the kinds of books they are talking about more than 400 pages in length? If so, I'm on the right track. Otherwise, my book, if I ever finish it, may need a bit of trimming.

Which it probably will need anyway. I'm just not looking forward to the lengthy process of proof-reading. I rarely read 400 page books. I'm hoping mine's good enough to maintain my interest for the that long.

Who knows. Maybe, after a bit of quality control and trimming, I'll be about to cut it down to a really high quality limerick. Let's hope.

No comments: