Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Do-Something Day

So the Easter holidays are now over - the much-needed break after an extremely busy term.

Given that the term was only eight weeks long, it's a little hard to believe just how exhausted I was at the end of it. Certainly, shorter terms are more intense, in that everything is simply compacted. The very same issues with starting and finishing the term remain, with little in the middle - much like a flight that is all ascent and descent, with almost no leveling out.

That said, I know that I overworked myself chronically last term, something that I really shouldn't be proud of. There's nothing glorious or worthwhile in running yourself into the ground, no matter how noble your job. If it prevents you from functioning at the end of it all, it was hardly worth it. Certainly, it's not sustainable.

But, much as I have needed the last two weeks off, I have also had a lot to do in preparation for the new term, and in response to the term now ended. While rest was completely necessary, so was breaking the back of that awful backlog of marking, paper-work etc., not to mention all the preparation that is fairly important if you plan on doing the job properly.

It's very difficult to find the balance between rest and work. On days like today - days, that is, of insane activity - it's tempting to let a few things slide. But I know that I'll only suffer the consequences of that later in the term. I also know that starting the term tomorrow with a large amount of work still unfinished is only going to keep me from ever having a chance of being up-to-date with my work for the rest of the term.

Nevertheless, today was also a wonderful day of rest, the first half, from 8:30am to 3pm, spent with my church community - and what a lovely rest it was.

So maybe today I found a balance between the two. Let's hope I can find that balance more consistently this term.

No comments: