Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What to do, what a to-do

I could spend much of a lifetime just reading the books that I have borrowed from other people and the books that I have bought and never read. If I then tried to read all the books that I intended to read, there'd be at least another lifetime taken up with nothing other than that.

I could also spend a lifetime helping all the people that I care about, responding to all the causes that I see around me. Only, I wouldn't also have time to buy groceries, or pay the bills, or go to the doctor, or buy petrol, or...just sit.

And I could spend my life reading the Bible and meditating on God's Word. Only, I wouldn't have time to live it out, and to help others, and to buy groceries, pay the bills, go to the doctor, buy petrol, just sit, or...read all the books that I've borrowed from other people, all the books that I have bought and never read, and all the books that I intend to read. Not to mention...just sitting.

Or I could travel. I could see all the countries in the world that I want to see, learn about all the cultures that interest me. Or I could get on top of all my marking, lesson preparation, paperwork, professional development, professional knowledge...and so on. But there'd be no time for...anything else.

Life, in short, is too short. There's just not enough time for everything.

Just as well that here, now, this life, isn't everything.

No comments: