Monday, October 6, 2008

I saw her at the anti-abortion demonstration

Or at least, I think I did. My eyes were wandering across the crowd at Parliament House, looking for familiar faces, when I saw someone that I was quite certain I knew. What a common experience with celebrities - I mean, it's like we know them, isn't it? Particularly when they starred in recent, hugely successful Australian mockumentaries.

No, it wasn't Chris Lilley. And that would be a "he" anyway, you imbeciles. No, it was Bec, Jai'me's "hot Asian" friend - at least, I think it was. And there was a brief surge of pride in me when I saw her, holding a baby - perhaps hers? - for a friend to photograph. Because, while the general public would love to make sweeping statements about what kind of people are "anti-abortion", there may be plenty of people we like and respect who count themselves in that number. We may in fact have enjoyed watching some of them on our TV screens - in a very irreverent, controversial, and, yes, left-wing, show. I may have been one of the only lefties there that day; most of the politicians there certainly seemed to be on the more conservative end, but I couldn't be sure. But does it matter?

Sometimes, there are more important concerns in life than what others will think of us. Unless we can see that, there's a bit of Jai'me in all of us.

No comments: