Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kick me when I'm down

The last 48 hours have been a bit of a disaster zone in my life. You know those days when it really just doesn't seem to get any better? Well, I feel like I've had two of those in a row. The hardest thing about it all is that nothing that desperately bad has actually happened, it's just that...well...nothing really good's happened to lift the general feeling of crapness that so much around me is producing right now. I know I'm being affected much more by circumstances than they, in and of themselves, warrant, but knowledge like that isn't especially useful when nothing changes the way I feel - like I can hardly stand up.

So how do you connect with God when that's how you feel? When he, in his infinite power, is doing remarkably little to change things. He's there, you know he's there, and you know that he's good through it all. But that doesn't alter how you feel.

I'd like to remember verses like, "A bruised reed he will not break/And a smoldering wick he will not snuff out" (Isaiah 42:3), and they're true, in spite of everything, yet this fact remains - I may well stay bruised or smoldering for some time yet.

1 comment:

Messalina said...

Hope you're feeling better soon Matt, and that you come out of this "down" period having learnt something.

Not sure if it's relevant to you, but I came across this quote today:

God brings men into deep waters, not to drown them, but to cleanse them. ~John Aughey

A coffee catch up when your Term 4 commitments are over would be nice if you're up for it? Best of luck with it all :-)