Saturday, June 21, 2008

I'm driving this way to piss you off

Assumptions are wonderful things. Don't we all just love people imputing motives into everything we do, whether they know us or not?

Ever noticed how much we do that when driving? Someone takes too long to turn right, and CLEARLY they're doing it because they're either stupid or willfully annoying - take your pick.

That's why I was very much amused by the bumper sticker that I saw the other day with the line that I've quoted in the title of this post. Because I know the feeling, from both ends. I know how it feels to make assumptions, and how it feels to assume.

And it's been making me think a bit lately about this guy a few years back who had something to say, on a more general note, but that I think applies quite well to this situation. It was something like, "Do to others as you'd like them to do to you."

Perhaps, in this situation, I could dare to add to it, "And don't condemn others for doing what, five minutes ago, you did to someone else." I suspect he'd approve. And I suspect he'd be happy to see his philosophy applied a little more often to our driving habits.

I also suspect I should practise what I preach.

No comments: