Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What if she won't be apples?

It's tough being an Aussie male. It's even tougher being an Aussie male with feelings.

Here's a typical interchange between Australian men:

"How's it goin', buddy? Keeping out of trouble?"

"Yeah."

"That's the way."

What's the way? And, while we're on the topic: The way to what? The way to emotional repression? It's almost as if being not okay, not keeping out of trouble, is somehow Not The Way.

Which isn't so surprising. We do, after all, live in the country where "How's it going?" is a greeting, not a question, and where the response is all too often a repeated "How's it going?", a defiance of all laws of grammar, and not an answer at all. Of course, there's always, "Not bad," or "Alright," as alternative answers. But what it you aren't Not Bad? What it you aren't Alright? What then?

I guess then we blog. It's not as if our feelings will ever come up in conversation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sound a wee bit bitter, my love... i hope you're ok. or that you're ok with not being ok, as the case may be.
on the up side, chicks dig emotional guys... <3

mpp said...

I suspect I sounded more bitter than I was. But I guess I was pretty annoyed.
I'm getting there, thanks!